Hashimoto Shokai Co., Ltd.

Our Company

TOP > Our Company > History

History

In the late 1860s, Yuzo Hashimoto left his position as a soldier in the Nakatsu Han province during the Meiji Restoration. Taking advantage of the unique opportunities presented by Nagasaki's bustling port and constant contact with the West, Hashimoto then founded Nakatsuya Hashimoto Shoten in Nagasaki. Since its foundation, the company has continued its business operations to the current day(i.e., over 140 years).

Hashimoto studied marine salvage techniques under the tutelage of Thomas Glover, a renowned Scottish entrepreneur based in Nagasaki. Building on successes achieved in raising large sunken ships, Hashimoto also began importing and selling various types of iron and steel.

Consistent with the modern trend of our company, our early presidents were attuned to the requirements of their respective eras. Today's Hashimoto Shokai has continued this long-standing tradition of ongoing corporate transformation. We develop and diversify our business activities in accordance with the needs of our customers. For example, in the aftermath of World War II, when most of Nagasaki was reduced to rubble by the atomic bomb, we revisited our roots in iron and steel. Our aim was to rebuild our city and help our country survive a very tumultuous period in its history.

Over a decade ago, we set out on yet another transformation. This time, our goal was becoming a technology and information trading company. Together, with our affiliates, we continue to move forward with proprietary technological development and information collection capabilities. We respond to the various changes in business environments that are emerging in the 21st century. Now, as ever, we look forward to better understanding and fulfilling the needs of both existing and potential customers.

Meiji Restoration Founder Yuzo Hashimoto, a feudal soldier of the Nakatsu Domain, came to Nagasaki from Edo to start a business during a state of upheaval in the Meiji Restoration. He began as an apprentice at the German Trade Office and became the manager of the German Trade Office after only 4 years.
March 1872 Nakatsuya Hashimoto Shoten was established by Yuzo Hashimoto as metal goods dealer engaged in import of Western steel products, scrap metal, trading and marine salvage.
1885 The company salvaged a dutch ship from the sea off Hirado under the direction of Scotsman Thomas Glover. This salvage operation was the first of its kind recorded in Japanese history.
1888 The company gained a solid reputation for salvage capabilities by saving the 3000-ton French Steamer Sloen.
1897 Tatsujiro Hashimoto became the 2nd president of Nakatsuya Hashimoto Shoten.
1905 Under orders from the Japanese military, the company salvaged the Russian warships during the Russo-Japanese war.
1912 The company entered the fishing business with three trawlers.
1914 At the outbreak of WWI, Hashimoto Shoten got into ocean shipping business, and established Fukuyo Kisen Co., Ltd., headquartered in Kobe. (The four initial ships were the 10,000-ton Enka Maru.and the 9,000-ton Daikoku Maru, Dai-Nissan Maru and Mogi Maru.)
December 1921 Yukimasa Hashimoto, the 3rd president of Nakatsuya Hashimoto Shokai, restructured the company under the new name Hashimoto Shokai Co., Ltd. with a capital of 500,000 yen. Operations were expanded to include the dealing of industrial and construction materials.
November 1939 Since operations were expanded to include the dealing of industrial and construction materials, Hashimoto Furutetsu-bu Co.,Ltd.(President: Watahachi Hashimoto, Capital: 195,000yen) was established after separating from Hashimoto Shokai.
January 1945 Watahachi Hashimoto established Tekko division in order to manufacture forged steel machine parts.
March 1946 Hashimoto Furutetsu-bu became the sole supplier of scrap iron to Mitsubishi Steel Mills Co., Ltd. The company contributed to the reconstruction of Nagasaki after WWII.
November 1956 During the economic growth period in Japan, Hashimoto Furutetsu-bu changed its name to Hashimoto Shoji Co., Ltd. (Capital: 30 million yen) Hashimoto Shokai also increased its capital to 6 million yen and sales activities were launched in Osaka, Kobe and Tokyo.
October 1957 Hashimoto Shokai Co., Ltd. (Watahachi Hashimoto of the 4th president, Capital: 36 million yen) was formed through the merger of Hashimoto Shokai with Hashimoto Shoji.
1958 The company opened Urakami Sales Office to meet demands for steel materials.
August 1966 The company constructed six-story building in downtown Nagasaki, and started a estate management business, which operated under the name Hashimoto Bldg. Co., Ltd.
1968 Chuo Giken Co., Ltd. was established to develop technology for designing and manufacturing machinery and gadgets.
November 1973 Hashimoto Shokai celebrated its 100th year anniversary.
December 1974 The company opened Kita Kyushu Office.
February 1976 The company increased its capital to 104 million yen.
June 1976 Hashimoto Sangyo Ltd. was added to the Hashimoto Shokai group in order to sell tires, to repair tires and to manage parking lots.
November 1976 Hashimoto Sogyo Co., Ltd. was founded to operate an insurance business. Later, its business expanded to include vehicular and industrial equipment leasing and the handling of used equipment.
December 1976 Hashimoto Shokai opened five-story, 150-car capacity parking garage in Mezame-machi.
July 1978 Hashimoto Ryokuka Sangyo Co.,Ltd. was established - landscaping business.
April 1980 The steel, raw material and steel products divisions merged to operate in a newly formed division named Tekko, which conducted operations in Togitsu.
September 1982 Hashimoto Giken Ltd. was reorganized and renamed as Chuo Giken Co., Ltd.
September 1984 Hashimoto Shokai built a new eight-story headquarter building and five-story annex as celebrated its 110th year anniversary.
April 1985 The company opened an eight-story, 250-car capacity parking garage next to company headquarters.
July 1985 The company built new five-story Hashimoto Shokai #2 Building.
April 1986 Yutaka Hashimoto became the 5th president and Watahachi Hashimoto became chairman.
July 1986 Hashimoto group acquired Seiyu Electrical, Ltd. in order to expand the energy sector.
March 1989 Hashimoto Shokai launched Nagasaki Semba Co., Ltd. as a joint venture with major commercial space design firm, Semba Corp.
February 1990 The company opened Fukuoka Sales Office.
October 1990 The company enlarged the Togitsu Factory to expand the automated and power-saving process.
December 1990 The company established the Isahaya Factory.
July 1993 The company upgraded the Fukuoka Sales Office to the Fukuoka Branch.
April 1995 The company enlarged the Togitsu Factory building to deal large-scale automation equipment.
February 1997 The company established Tokyo Sales Office.
April 1997 The company opened Tenjin Office of the Fukuoka Branch.
October 1997 The Fukuoka Branch relocated to Tenjin, and the former building was renamed as Sanno Sales Office
October 1999 P.N.Kiden Ltd. was established from the merger of Seiyu Electrical and the Togitsu Factory.
December 2002 The Sanno Sales Office was integrated into the Fukuoka Branch, which was relocated to Nagahama (Fukuoka).
April 2005 The company established Business Development Department.
June 2005 The company increased its capital to 150,623,000 yen.
April 2006 Hirofumi Hashimoto became the 6th President. Yutaka Hashimoto became chairman.
November 2007 The company was certified to ISO14001 (EMS: Environmental Management Systems).
April 2012 The company established Wellness Supplements Department.
April 2014 The company established Tokyo Office.

back to top